Arising from a European Conference in 1999 entitled “Young People, Crime & Disadvantage” a recommendation was made to establish a support network to develop strong links for practitioners interested in promoting the quality of policies and practices for young people at risk and those working with other vulnerable or disadvantaged members of the community.
Breaking Through has grown from a small beginning in 1999 to a national organisation with a committed staff and a network of dedicated volunteer board members providing information and support to practitioners.
- Interim committee formed in 1999
- Charity and Company Status
- Funding from Peace & Reconciliation
- Funding from Dept. Community Rural & Gaeltacht
- Strategic Plan 2005-2009
- Range of regional events held
- Multi-agency membership
- Development of website
- Development of Local Support Networks
- Quarterly Newsletter
- Meetings with Joint Oireachtas Committees
- Annual Conferences
- Lobbied on a variety of issues
- 2 Staff Members